Nigg Memorial Inscriptions

The parish of Nigg in Kincardineshire was originally served by the now-ruined kirk of St Fittick, down near the shore.  However, by the early 19th century, this had become too small to accommodate a growing population, and was replaced in 1829 by the new Nigg Kirk, near the summit of Tullos Hill.  Burials continued at first in the old St Fittick’s kirkyard, the first burial beside the new church being in 1878.

Nigg Kirkyard contains more than 1,000 stones, many of them commemorating members of the old fishing and sea-faring families of Nigg, Cove and Torry – Wood, Main, Guyan, Masson, Leiper and more.  The dead of both World Wars are remembered on a war memorial in the form of an obelisk and on 22 individual Commonwealth War Graves.

The Memorial Inscriptions of Nigg Kirkyard are now published: code AA075, price £7·50.  The MIs of St Fittick’s were published in 2006 as AA156 (£2·40).

A searchable index to the published MIs of St Fittick’s, Nigg Kirk, and over 130 other burial grounds in North-East Scotland will be found at:

Memorial Inscription Index


Gavin Bell (MI Co-ordinator) No. 4085


Nigg Kirkyard Cover



Ordering Information


The Kirkyard of Nigg - Item Code: AA075£7.50 plus postage and packing

In addition to the above title, check out our online Publications List which has a wide range of family and local history titles particularly relating to Aberdeen and the North-East.


To place your order, please visit:  How to Order Publications